A great way to reduce the calories in your day is to eat healthier versions of your favorite dinners. This lasagna is the perfect example. The calories, carbs and fats in this dish have been dramatically reduced with some creative ingredient swaps.
Instead of regular lasagna noodles, this recipe calls for zucchini noodles in order to sway the calorie balance in your favor. Cheese has also been swapped out for egg whites, which increases the overall protein while reducing calories.
I am really pleased with how this lasagna turns out both in flavor, consistency, and of course added protein. You?d be surprised at how similar baked egg white looks and feels to melted cheese. Your family will have no clue that this dish is healthy!
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What you need
For the Noodles
1 small?spaghetti squash
4 Green Zucchinis, sliced into ? inch noodles
1 teaspoon olive oil
Dash of salt and pepper
a sprinkle of?dried basil
For the Filling
1? pounds ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken or even ground impossible burger)
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 teaspoons Dried Oregano (OR fresh oregano)
1 (25.5 oz) jar marinara sauce
16 oz. carton egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cut the ends off the spaghetti squash and discard. Slice the rest of the spaghetti squash into 1-inch rings. Use a spoon to remove the seeds from the center of each ring. Cut the rings into half and arrange on one of the baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.?Roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
3. Using a mandoline slicer, slice the zucchini into ? inch lasagna noodles. Place in a single layer on the remaining prepared baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and dried basil. Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes.
4. In a large skillet, place the ground meat, salt, garlic, onion and oregano over medium high heat. When the meat is browned add the marinara sauce and scrape the roasted spaghetti squash flesh into the skillet. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes.
For the Assembly
1. In a casserole dish,?make a single layer of zucchini noodles at the bottom. Top with half of the filling. Top with half of the egg whites. Top with the remaining zucchini noodles, the remaining filling, the remaining egg whites. Sprinkle a little more oregano and basil on the very top.
2. Reduce the oven to 375 and bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Turn on the broil for 2-3 minutes, to help evaporate some of the liquid from the top of the lasagna.?Enjoy!
One serving equals: 380 calories, 14g fat, 987mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 6g sugar and 44g protein.